Thursday, May 21, 2009

Camelia Sinensis!

As mentioned, I will include places where one can drink and/or buy tea.
One place which fits both profiles is Camelia Sinensis. The Tea Place (where one can sit down and enjoy tea) is located on 351 Emery, on the corner of St Denis (well not exactly on the corner, but close enough). It faces the cinema.
Next to it is a little boutique where you can buy their tea. In addition, there's another boutique located at Jean Talon Market - 7010 Casgrain. I haven't really ventured into the Market one, just because I tend to go to Camelia Sinensis to sit down and drink tea.

What's great is that it's small/quaint (back room newly renovated by the way) and they have an enourmous selection of tea to choose from. I often have difficulty picking one (though I accidently chose the same one on 3 different occasions because I had forgotten the name of the tea. Then I tasted it and was like oh...I've had this before). In addition, you have to choice of have the tea served in its "traditional" manner rather than just in a teapot. So it's a generally fun experience all around.

The teas I've tasted:
Kabusecha Kawase (a green tea from Japan): This is the one I had 3 times. My first impression was that it smelled like corn on the cob and was bright yellow-green. It definitely had a very grassy taste...but not overwhelmingly so. I definitely like it.

The other ones I don't remember exactly how they tasted, but here they are:
Pu-erh Yong Ming 2006, Shan Lin Shi (Wulong tea), Ali Shan M Chen (Wulong) and I've also tried one of their teas of the day, which also happened to be a Wulong.

In addition, they have a few desserts. The ones I tasted are really good - particularly the Sencha Green Tea glazed cheesecake. This is one of the best cheesecake's I've had actually - kind of melts in your mouth :P The pain du moment and their fruty cake are nice too.

If you just get tea, it'll set you back 5-9$. W/ dessert about 10-14$ :) But you can spend hours there and forget the time (until, of course, it closes).

Another great thing: they typically provide free masala chai for Nuit Blanche and you can stand around their outdoor heaters. Their masala chai is awesome!! (I usually take as many of their mini cups as I can).

That's it for now.
I think my next tea post will be concerning different types of mint tea/tisanes I have tasted...

2 comments:

p.w. said...

hm, i wonder if they serve the masala chai only on nuit blanche? because it is a delicious tea that i would like to drink more than once a year at their tea shop.

njosnavelin said...

I wonder too...we'll have to investigate some time.